Eureka Math is a comprehensive pre-kindergarten through 12th grade mathematics curriculum developed by a collaboration of mathematicians and teachers.
Eureka Math connects math to the real world in ways that take the fear out of math and builds student confidence - while helping students achieve true understanding lesson by lesson and year after year. The team of teachers and mathematicians who wrote Eureka Math took great care to present mathematics in a logical progression from PreK through 12th grade.
This is a curriculum that:
- Emphasizes conceptual understanding while building a mastery of basic skills
- Explores the full mathematics spectrum, not just basic arithmetic
- Is based on how students learn, what they're interested in, and the future for which they must be prepared
- Uses real world situations paired with grade-level explorations to make math more meaningful to the students
- Includes technology as a way to extend their knowledge and the use of skills
Daily routines and games are part of the program and it offers materials that provide students with a rich variety of experiences that include whole class, small group, and independent work, with the use of manipulatives and tools. Skills taught through the scope and sequence of the lessons align with Wisconsin State Standards very well.
Math Experiences at BEAM
- Problem of the week contest: students complete a word problem each week in their classrooms at their grade level.
- Pi Day competition: students have the opportunity to memorize digits of the mathematical constant pi and compete against classmates to see who can memorize the most. Winners from each grade level throw a pie in a teacher's face.
- Compass Learning and IXL: These are computer programs that enhance learning in mathematics. These tools can be used at home as well.